In the beginning of September, I signed myself up for a month-long Locavore challenge and pledged to eat only local food for all of September.
Yesterday, I almost succeeded in eating an entire meal made of local things.
Baby steps, people.
Varenka and I went apple picking yesterday, and it was amazing.
Look at this butternut squash:
Look at these apples:
Look at me artistically frolicking in the sunflowers:
Whilst at the farm, Varenka and I stumbled on some adorable little eggplants, and we decided to eat local for dinner.
Had we not found hummus and artichoke hearts in the fridge, we would have made it, too.
This is what we made:
The (Mostly) Locavorian
Goat cheese (optional)
1. Either grill the eggplant rounds or brown in a pan with a little olive oil until soft and semi-transluscent with a brown sear. Drizzle with olive oil.
2. Grill or toast the ciabatta.
3. Cut the tomatoes into rounds.
4. Spread hummus onto the ciabatta and put the other stuff on it and eat it. I don’t need to babysit you guys. You can build a damn sandwich.
5. Serve with mulled hot cider spiked with Jameson. Or whatever you’re into.
7. Live life and prosper.