One of my favorite Youtubers, Mike Falzone, recently uploaded this awesome video about guilt.
I figured I’d take the opportunity to blatantly rip him off and make my own list.
Here goes nothing.
1. Eating free food. I don’t know what it is about food that makes me rather die than eat a bagel that other people have explicitly told me I could have. It always makes me feel like I’m going to take a bite and they are going to turn around, slap me, and scream WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?? (reasons why I’m single #8 – I’m super neurotic about weird shit like this).
2. Where I live, some of the streets are really tight to navigate through, especially if there are cars parked on both sides of the street. So if there’s two cars traveling towards each other, oftentimes the one car has to pull over to let the other go through. I always feel super awkward about this, especially if both of us pull over to the side at the same time, at which point the situation inevitably turns into a waving “you go first” stand-off until one of us caves. It doesn’t matter how long I have to sit there. If I pull back onto the road first, I feel like a guilty jerk for the rest of the drive.
3. I always feel really weird when I run into people I know from high school or college or wherever when it turns into one of those situations where you feel obligated to ask them to hang out at some point in the near future. I always feel like both of us know that this “hang-out” is undesired on both sides, and that we both know it’s absolutely not going to happen. It’s just one of those horrible social things you feel like you have to do.
4. I hate going somewhere where I have to order from a counter and a new person is behind the desk and they don’t know how to do whatever I asked them to do. This makes me feel like a diva. I know that it’s technically just part of the learning process of stepping into a new job, but still. The longer it takes them to figure it out, the bigger of a jerk I feel like I am.
5. I am absolutely guilty of watching ahead in a television show I’m supposed to be watching with either a friend or a significant other. However, I did that once to mi Madre during the last season of How I Met Your Mother and she was so pissed I think she broke me of that habit forever.